Hope you have had a great weekend! As you can probably guess by some of my other recipes, I am lactose intolerant. I only realised this 2/3 years ago so I have tasted all the lovely goodness of most food or drinks that I now either can not have or have to make myself with them containing milk! like parmo and pizza. But as it gets close to Christmas one of the main things that I miss is a nice glass of Baileys, with it pretty much just a glass of cream (hence it also being called Irish Cream), so last year I set out to make some of my own that I could actually drink! And I thought I would share it with you! So if you are under 18 please do not attempt to make this!
What you will need;
- 1 x 400 ml Can of full fat Coconut Milk
- 1 x 400 ml Can of Light Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 x Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 x Cup Strong Coffee
- 1 1/2 x Cups Whiskey or Brandy
What to do;
You honestly won’t believe how easy this is going to be!
1) In a medium/ large pan, mix together both of the Coconut Milk’s, Vanilla, Salt and the Brown sugar.
2) Bring the mixture to the boil.
3) Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently!!! The mixture should thicken slightly
4) While the mixture is simmering, make your strong coffee
5) Once your mixture has slightly thickened, remove it from the heat and mix in the Coffee and Whisky/ Brandy.
And believe it or not, that is it!!! Just leave it to completely cool before you serve.
By using this recipe I made just over 1 1/2 pints, so in order to keep it I poured mine into a glass jar that I got out of the Pound shop and drank the rest (and wow does it taste good!!). But how cute would this be as a present for somebody who is lactose intolerant?! Just pour into either one of these glass bottle or a mason jar and put a pretty ribbon around it, and voila! Another present off your list.
Now don’t worry when you go to it and it looks like it hasn’t worked, the Coffee and Whiskey/ Brandy will settle to the bottom, just give it a little shake and you are away! From the couple of different recipes that I read this mixture will last about 1 week once it is made, so if you do make it as a present, make it as close to Christmas as you can!